Over the last two days I was being silly with Alien Aura about how if I ever reach 100 follows I would probably tinkle in my pants. She created an award for me, the incontinence award, now proudly displayed on my award page. This reminded me that I did get nominated for three blog awards that I promised to respond to and failed miserably at my follow-through. Writing while wineing nominated me months ago for the Liebster Award, making me feel special and welcomed into this blogging world. A few weeks later Conscious Cacophony also nominated me, reminding me that I hadn’t responded to Ardenn and also making me feel like perhaps my words were falling into a grove in this blogging community. It’s hard to tell I appreciated the gesture, due to the lack of responding on my part, but I did, and now I will finally prove it by responding to both of them.
I love awards. Hopefully I can right the ship and respond to the other few awards I was nominated for in the next couple of weeks, too.
Here are the rules:
1. Thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog on your blog.
Done above, but again I think that Ardenn over at Writing While Wineing is a fantastic writer, truly lovely and engaging. And thank you, Conscious Cacophony, for nominating me three whole months ago… Sorry I am terrible at responding in a timely way. You are awesome and I enjoy your blog greatly.
2. Display the award on your blog by including it in your post and/or displaying it using a “widget” or a “gadget”.
3. Answer 11 questions about yourself, which will be provided to you by the person who nominated you.
If you could be any animal, what would you be? Pygmy Marmoset
- Invite three people to dinner, living or dead – who are they? This is hard because my two real first two choices would reveal my kids actual names, which my husband doesn’t want me to do. Suffice to say they were named after peace heroes and I would like to have them come to dinner so my kids could see why their names are meaningful and awesome. If there was a mute button I would Like Vin Diesel there, too, but that’s just for my viewing pleasure.
- What’s the best Christmas gift you could get? My entire house cleaned without my help. I have asked for this every year since I spawned… still waiting
- What is your favorite blog entry you’ve written – please, post a link for us to read. I have two, one serious about bipolar and one super silly about Disneyland
- Who is your greatest inspiration? My parents
- Most embarrassing moment (that you are willing to share). I don’t tend to get embarrassed, I feel like life is far more fun when you do exactly as you want to regardless if anyone is watching. I definitely embarrass my kids already, though, and they are only 4 and 6
- Name one thing that you wish you had done in your life thus far. I wish I had traveled more before I had children.
- What’s your favorite food? Sushi
- Cheesecake or Cake? Cheesecake
- Favorite Olympic sport? rhythmic gymnastics… it is a damn travesty that this event is no longer broadcast
- If you could ask your great grandparents one thing, what would it be? I was fortunate enough to have a relationship with several of my great grandparents. If I could see my Great Grandmothers I would love to ask them how they feel about the current state of women’s rights and how it impacts raising families
- How Did you pick your blog name? I intended it to be a Mommy blog and therefore named it with my children’s nicknames
- Do you blog anonymously or as yourself?I blog as myself, with my name and my husband’s name public. I do not publish my children’s names nor do I publish the name of their school for safety reasons.
- If you could live anywhere in the world where would you live? I would live in a co-op with two or three other families with similar values, preferably on a simple plot of land by the water with a giant garden and a good school near-by. The actual city doesn’t matter nearly as much as the quality of life we could have once we settled in– communal living is my cup of tea.
- What is the most beautiful man-made object in the world? There was a recent invention that made well-drilling more cost-effective and easier. It is beautiful because of its power to save lives and bring fresh drinking water to the masses.
- What is the most interested course you ever took in school? I took War and Morality, which shaped everything I believe in regarding war, and more importantly shaped my first date conversation with Dave which resulted in near-instantaneous marriage and children named after the peace heroes; a life trajectory set from this one college course
- What is your favorite saying or quotation? I’ve got better things to do than survive, Ani Difranco
- If you could have 50 pounds of anything, other than money, what would you want to have? Bananas
- If you had to wear a button with a maximum of six words on it describing your outlook on life, what would your button say? Choose happiness over money- love first
- What/where was your favorite vacation and why? Disneyland — watching my kids have the time of their lives transformed me
- What is one job that no one could pay you enough to do? kill animals
- If you could only see ONE color, rather than a wide range of colors, then what color would you want to continue seeing? Purple
4. Provide 11 random facts about yourself.
- I was a competitive tap dancer as a child
- I always thought I was more likely to run for president than I was to settle down and have children, 3 hours into my first date with my husband changed my entire life course and I couldn’t be happier
- I would rather be poor and spend time with my kids every day than have financial security. Our family budget is laughable compared to most people, but we are so damn happy because we leave work at the door and play board games 4 nights a week, participate in plays, have singalongs etc.
- I have almost finished writing three books but my fear of rejection keeps them firmly out of sight from everyone but me
- I drink 3 liters of water a day, at least. It started when I was pregnant as a measure to stop fainting. Now its a habit and I feel like a failure if I don’t accomplish it daily
- I volunteered for President Obama when he ran for Senate in Illinois. I don’t say it out loud often, though, because it sounds so hipster to say “Dude, I supported him before he was famous”
- I genuinely did not have self-esteem issues until college. I remember sitting in a dorm room with a group of 11 girls when someone asked everyone to admit what one plastic surgery they wanted most. When it was my turn I said permanent hair removal and they all helpfully suggested other things I needed more. The phrase I think of when that moment pops up into my head is “and so it begins”
- I haven’t had a pedicure in three years. I used to get them once a month. This is the only thing I gave up to simplify our life that I feel nostalgic and sad over on a very regular basis
- I am an introvert who feels compelled to make people feel happy, which pulls me out into the world being social a lot more often than I am comfortable with. I recuperate with bad TV and ice cream a lot more often than I like to admit
- My husband and I make out everyday and call it “our exercises”. It started when we were newlyweds and stuck.
- I have a point on my ear, as does my mother and daughter. I have convinced our children that my mother is really a retired elf and we all are part elf, reporting to Santa when we come of age. We never lie to our kids about the big stuff, but this one just sort of snowballed out of control and the kids are convinced someday they will be called to the North pole for duty.
5. Nominate 5 blogs that you feel deserve the award, who have less than 1000 followers.
6. Create a new list of questions for the blogger to answer.
Following in Ardenn’s footsteps I give you the same question’s I answered
- If you could be any animal, what would you be?
- Invite three people to dinner, living or dead – who are they?
- What’s the best Christmas gift you could get?
- What is your favorite blog entry you’ve written – please, post a link for us to read.
- Who is your greatest inspiration?
- Most embarrassing moment (that you are willing to share)
- Name one thing that you wish you had done in your life thus far.
- What’s your favorite food?
- Cheesecake or Cake?
- Favorite Olympic sport?
- If you could ask your great grandparents one thing, what would it be?
7. List these rules in your post
You can copy this post right into your own if you want yo play along
8. Inform the people/blogs that you nominated that they have been nominated for the Liebster award and provide a link for them to your post so that they can learn about it!